Power factor is the ratio of the power that has been used in actual to the power supplied. It may vary with the rate of loss that has been encountered in the system. Inductive circuits available within a particular distribution system require the right amount of current electricity for keeping the magnetic fields excited.
What are the Circuits Taken into Usage?
The list of circuits is long. Some of the most prominently utilized include the following:
- Induction motors
- Induction furnaces
- Welding plant
- Induction regulators
- Fluorescent lighting
- Electrical clocks
- High bay discharging a lighting
All of them require excited current electricity for establishing a magnetic field that is necessary for the functionality of every part of the plant. As magnetic fields are vital facts of electrical lives, they help in power factor calculation.
The following formula is used for calculating the energy required at load:
Watts (W) = Volts (V) * Amps (A) * Power Factor
Whenever the power factor falls below the unit reading, the current in the system increases. As a result, the voltage of the system decreases along with the following effects:
- Low voltage on lighting will result in reduced output of lumen
- Motors in the induction will run at reduced speed
- The entire efficiency suffers as a whole
Increase in the current may lead towards overheating and reducing the life of the equipment
What are Remarkable Advantages of Power Factor Correction?
Apart from side effects, exclusive advantages in association with power factor correction include the following:
- Decrease in the loss in terms of cables and circuits
- Ensuring that the voltage that is being supplied applies to motors for obtaining optimum performance
- A decrease in the loss level in case of distribution transformers
- Maximizing power output in transformers
- Obtaining high financial benefits
- Enabling the existing transformers to carry on with additional load without overloading
What Are Some Important Tips for Improving Power Factor?
If you are looking forward to improve the power factor, then below are some smart tips that must be followed:
- Introducing static capacitors – Introducing static capacitors help in making the system highly capacitive. As these electrostatic capacitors take a leading current for compensating the lagging currents of inductive circuits, when connected in a circuit will act as a reservoir for energy.
- Including synchronous motors and condensers – Including synchronous motors and condensers will help in terms of power quality. As they become excited through direct current, they do not impose a lagging current for magnetizing purposes.
Along with following these tips, controlling capacitors must be carried out by special means of equipment. Also, the level of correction solely depends on geographical location.
What are Some Exclusive Steps in Terms of Maintenance?
As there is hardly any moving part in capacity, only a few things will go wrong. Capacitors may be checked thoroughly by measuring the flow of current in every phase. Cleaning of capacitor bushings along with checking the overall condition of connections will enable smooth functionality.
The place where circuit breakers are fitted must be operated at least once in seven days to keep contact surfaces in a neat and clean state.