Hiring software developers can be tricky, but there are patterns and they can be easily spotted. In this article we’ll decode these patterns and share easy steps you should follow to find your best-fit.
Is your app idea just sitting on the backburner because you can’t find a developer? Do you know where to look for top developers, what questions to ask them, and how much they should cost?
If this sounds familiar then we have good news!
In this blog post we will go over the steps a person needs to follow in order to hire an expert developer to help transform their app idea into a stunning product.
Step One: Know What Type of Service You Need
The first step is knowing exactly what type of service you need so make sure you take some time researching the various types available before starting your search.
There are a few different types of services you can get from app developers. Here is the breakdown for each type and what to consider when deciding which one you need:
- Mobile App Development – this service includes developing, programming, testing, marketing/promotion of mobile apps on various platforms.
- Web App Development – this service includes designing, programming and testing web applications.
So also, there are 3 types of app developers based on their roles:
- Front-end app developers: They are specialists in the front-end interface – that is the visitor-facing side of the app. They are responsible for designing all the elements app users would be able to see. For example, a button, a form or an animation.
- Back-end app developers: These types of app developers are responsible for the server-side of an application. This means they write code for the ‘behind-the-scenes’ part of an application and are responsible for tasks involving data management, security, API integrations, and all the other back-end processes that must occur for an app to function.
- Full Stack Developers: These are the ones that do everything from front to back. They design, program, and install the app. They are your best bet for a project that needs all of the services.
Once you know what type of service you need, it’s time to find an expert. Here are your options:
As the name implies, these developers are available as contracts. You can find them on job boards, freelance sites, LinkedIn, Social Media etc. The major benefits of freelance developers are that they can be hired for the short term and you are not obligated to provide benefits and other perks.
The major drawback of freelancers is that finding a reputable and qualified developer can be difficult and the quality of their work can vary.
App Development Agencies
An app development agency is a company that provides all the services necessary for your project. They have built a reputation for having high-quality developers. The major advantage of an app development agency is that due to their extensive knowledge and expertise, they can offer the best solutions and advice for your app. Unlike with finding freelancers, you do not have to screen the developers yourself and they will come equipped with a team of experts.
Other benefits of working with an app development agency includes:
- Tools and Resources: An app development company will usually provide tools such as project management software, design software etc. that you might not know about but come very handy.
- Support: App development agencies are able to offer support for every phase of the project. For example, they can help you develop your idea into an app prototype or design mockups before writing any code. They’ll even do user testing.
- Speed: App development agencies are experts in what they do and can offer you a project faster than if you were to hire an individual freelancer(s).
The major drawback of working with app development companies is the cost, which will usually be higher upfront than hiring freelance developers because they have more resources to support their expertise. However, when you consider all the nightmare stories of freelance developers delivering poor products, late or not at all, the money you spend upfront is offset by the long-term benefits of working with an app development agency including peace of mind and a guarantee that your app will be delivered on time and in the quality expected.
Step Two: Turn your App Idea into Requirements
Once you have determined what kind of service is right for you, the next step is to figure out what specific details of your project need attention. You should be as detailed in this stage as possible because it will help narrow down the search for a developer that can get the job done right from the start. Make sure to include everything on here and don’t forget any minor details or tasks such things like:
- What are the core features of this app?
- Will there be any outside integrations like API’s, third party programs?
- What platforms will this app be on – iOS, Android or both?
Based on these details we can find which type of developer would be best suited for your project!
Remember: always do thorough research before taking any steps towards hiring someone because if you don’t take care of yourself then no one else will!
Now let’s get back to business.
Step Three: Find a Developer
As mentioned earlier, the first step is to know what type of service you need. The second part is narrowing down your search for a developer based on the details of your project. The next step is finding the right developer for your needs.
In order to increase your odds of success, we would recommend hiring an agency especially if you are not sure what type of developer is best for your project. They will be able to take care of everything for you.
Here are some factors you should take into account when choosing an agency:
Similarity to your project/App Idea
The first thing to do is take a look at the agency’s portfolio and see if they have completed projects that are similar to your idea. If they have the types of services that you need but not just yet, then contact them and see if they can do your project as well.
Research their reputation
If you are going to hire an app development agency, then make sure that their reputation is in good standing. The best way to do this is to research the company online on sites like Glassdoor, LinkedIn or any other site that provides reviews of businesses. Customer testimonials are a great source of feedback and will be able to answer any questions that you may have.
Remember: It is an absolute must to work with a top app development team if you are starting a new app idea, or you will regret it!
Determine their Communication Skills
The next thing to look for is how well the agency communicates. This can be difficult because you have no idea who will end up working on your project. All you can do is observe how well they respond to your emails and phone calls.
Find out about their approach for Developing Apps
Their approach to app development should be similar to the approach that you are looking for. For example, Agile is an iterative and a more cost-effective approach to app development that allows clients to provide feedback at any point in the process which ultimately helps app development agencies provide the best value for the client in much faster time.
Keep Customer Support in mind
App development agencies should have the resources to help you with any issues that may arise. This includes both technical and non-technical support for your app! If this is not the case, then it may be a good time to find another agency. Take out time to note the hours of support offered and make sure that this is agreeable with your current needs. Also, they should provide a way to contact them through social media, email or phone.
If you are going to hire an app development agency, then it is important that you interview the company to make sure that they are right for you.
This can be done through chatting with them on Skype, email or over the phone.
Here are some questions that you should ask during the interview:
- What is your process for developing apps?
- How many team members will be on my project and what do they specialize in?
- What languages will they use to develop the app?
- How much communication with me can I expect through this process of development and tests?
- Will there be a dedicated customer service agent assigned to my account or not? If so, who would it be and how often would I get updates from them about bugs found within my application, new features etc.?
- How would changes to the app be made?
- Do you offer a warranty with your services, and what does that include exactly (eg. necessary fixes after corrections of bugs)?
- Do you have any questions for me about the project or needs?
We hope this little guide helps you go forth with confidence knowing exactly where to start when you’re ready to get started hiring developers for your app idea! Good luck!